Research Grants > Acorn Grants
Apply today! Application deadline: June 15 of the current year.
Acorn Grant Eligibility Requirements:
- An abstract - not to exceed three pages for Acorn Grants or five pages for Lucas Grants. Abstracts must contain a well-developed title and the research question. Research must be creative and unique. Research conducted as a follow-up to a previous study is discouraged. Issues related to the use of live humans or animals as research subjects must be dealt with explicitly in the proposal. Similarly, your plan for accommodating any issue related to privacy, appropriate permissions, and the harvesting, transport, or disposal of human tissues or body fluids must be included. FSF Lucas and Acorn Grant proposals on the same subject, differing only in scope and budget, may not be submitted by the same investigators in the same year.
- A brief literature review of not more than 10 references pertinent to the subject of the research.
- A detailed budget. Funding requests may not include requests for travel, equipment, bibliographic preparation, routine agency operations, including salary of investigators/researchers or assistants. Applicants must disclose if funding for this project is being sought from other/additional sources.
- A timetable and a specific plan for dissemination of results. The dissemination plan and timetable must be compatible with the annual schedule of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences and its meeting date in February. The grants are awarded in the late fall; presentation will be at the meeting in two years. Example: If the grant request is submitted in 2014, and awarded in late 2014-15, the presentation cannot be made until the 2016 meeting or (if two years in length) at the 2017 meeting.
- Disclosure. Applicants must disclose current or previous FSF research grants awarded to any of the investigators.
- CVs from all involved. One investigator, preferably the Principal Investigator, must be an affiliate or member of the AAFS.
Submissions that do not meet the aforementioned requirements or deadline will be automatically disqualified.
Please submit the aforementioned Acorn Grant or Lucas Grant Requirements electronically to Kimberly Wrasse at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to: Kimberly Wrasse, FSF, 410 North 21st Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80904.